2/26/2012

It is Oscar Day!

Today the Awards season is coming to an end. Like every year the ceremony in Los Angeles' Kodak Theatre is held to honor the finest works of film of the past year. A month ago the nominations were announced and proclaimed two frontrunners for the grand prize: Scorsese's 'Hugo' with eleven and Hazanavicius' 'The Artist' with ten nominations in total. But of course we all know that it should be an easy task for one of the two.

In the following I don't want to discuss whether the Oscars are still a prestigious monument in the film business or just a pretentious event of Hollywood celebrating itself. Instead I will give you my predictions on who will win and my choice of who I think should win in the major categories.

In the last couple of years I used to predict the winners in all 24 categories to see how good my guesses were.
But that doesn't make a lot of sense as in some of the minor categories like "Best Short Film" I have not seen any of the contenders anyway. So this year I will stick with the most important ones.

Let's start right off at the top.

BEST MOTION PICTURE OF THE YEAR:


After all the buzz for the french silent film "The Artist" there is no doubt for me that this will win the trophy and I think it may sweep several other categories as well. I have not seen three of the nine films but 'Warhorse' and 'Midnight in Paris' have no chance of winning anyway ... and what is 'Extremely loud and incredibly close' doing here in the first place?

As for my own choice I'd also go with "The Artist". It was something special and also was accessable for all audiences.
As much as I enjoyed "The Descendants", "Hugo" and "Drive" (which didn't get a nod) nothing reaches up to the joy and exitement that "The Artist" could provide. Also I have to say looking at the nominees I still think it was not a very good year.

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

Two big stars suit this category with Brad Pitt and George Clooney. Both very sympathetic men. Love most of their work. They are not only the big celebrities but are incredible versitile actors. Still those two legends and academy favorites can't match Jean Dujardin who managed to delight us even without really saying a word.
Gary Oldman as brillant as his performance was is an underdog in this category as well.

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

Meryl Streep's 17th nomination won't pay off this time again. Her performance was pitch perfect but the film was not acclaimed enough to make her the first choice.
The Oscar will go to Viola Davis for "The Help" even though she actually is playing the supporting role.

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Obviously Christopher Plummer for Beginners and also for all the work he did in his lifetime.
It would be an upset if he didn't win but I also can't see why any of the other nominees should even come close.

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Octivia Spencer will join her collegue on stage as she is the clear frontrunner here.

BEST ACHIEVEMENT IN DIRECTING

There could be a chance for Scorsese to win here but I think this night is The Artist's so Michel Hazanavicius is the one to win also considering that the Director's Guild has also honored him a few weeks ago.

BEST WRITING, SCREENPLAY WRITTEN DIRECTLY FOR THE SCREEN

Some interesting nominees here but it will be "The Artist" again.

BEST WRITING, SCREENPLAY BASED ON MATERIAL PREVIOUSLY PRODUCED OR PUBLISHED

That one will go to Alexander Payne's "The Descendants" and I would also be quite happy with it.

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

Heads up between 'Rango' and 'Chico & Rita' I think. I have not seen the latter though so I'll have to go with 'Rango'.

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

I have not yet seen any of these but 'A separation' will win.


... okay I got this far I will quickly do the technical categories as well. These are quite a bit more difficult this time I think.

Best Achievement in Cinematography: Tough one. Could be 'Hugo', 'The Tree of Life' or 'The Artist'.
I go for the risk and choose Terence Malick's film.

Best Achievement in Editing: 'Hugo'

Best Achievement in Art Direction: Not an easy one either: 'The Artist'

Best Achievement in Visual Effects: 'Hugo' or 'Harry Potter'

Best Achievement in Costume Design: Ehm ... 'Jane Eyre'?

Best Achievement in Makeup: 'The Iron Lady'

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score: 'The Artist'

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song: 'The Muppets'

Best Achievement in Sound Mixing: 'Hugo'

Best Achievement in Sound Editing: 'Hugo'


That's about it.

Tonight we'll find out about the Academy's choices!

Tell me if you watch the show, if the hosts do a good job this time and tell me what your opinion on the nominees and winners is. Good night, have fun!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen